Current:Home > reviewsGuantanamo panel recommends 23-year sentences for 2 in connection with 2002 Bali attacks -Visionary Wealth Guides
Guantanamo panel recommends 23-year sentences for 2 in connection with 2002 Bali attacks
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 23:30:55
WASHINGTON (AP) — A military panel at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba recommended 23 years in detention Friday for two Malaysian men in connection with deadly 2002 bombings in Bali, a spokesman for the military commission said.
The recommendation, following guilty pleas earlier this month under plea bargains for longtime Guantanamo detainees Mohammed Farik Bin Amin and Mohammed Nazir Bin Lep, marks comparatively rare convictions in the two decades of proceedings by the U.S. military commission at Guantanamo.
Guantanamo military commission spokesman Ronald Flesvig confirmed the sentencing recommendations.
The extremist group Jemaah Islamiyah killed 202 Indonesians, foreign tourists and others in two nearly simultaneous bombings at nightspots on the resort island of Bali.
The two defendants denied any role or advance knowledge of the attacks but under the plea bargains admitted they had over the years conspired with the network of militants responsible. The sentence recommendation still requires approval by the senior military authority over Guantanamo.
The two are among a total of 780 detainees brought to military detention at Guantanamo under the George W. Bush’s administration’s “war on terror” following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S. There have been only a handful of convictions over the years — eight, according to one advocacy group, Reprieve.
Defendants in some of the biggest attacks, including 9/11, remain in pretrial hearings. Prosecutors are seeking negotiated agreements to close that case and some others.
The prosecutions have been plagued by logistical difficulties, frequent turnover of judges and others, and legal questions surrounding the torture of detainees during CIA custody in the first years of their detention.
The military’s head of defense for the Guantanamo proceedings blamed the Bush administration’s early handling of the detainees — which included holding at secret “black sites” and torture in CIA custody — for the more than 20-year delay in the trial.
The slow pace “was extremely distressing and frustrated the desire of everyone for accountability and justice,” Brig. Gen. Jackie Thompson said in a statement.
Thirty detainees remain at Guantanamo. Sixteen of them have been cleared and are eligible for transfer out if a stable country agrees to take them. “The time for repatriating or transferring the cleared men is now,” Thompson said. He said the same for three others held at Guantanamo but never charged.
As part of their plea bargains, the two Malaysian men have agreed to provide testimony against a third Guantanamo detainee, an Indonesian man known as Hambali, in the Bali bombings.
Relatives of some of those killed in the Bali bombings testified Wednesday in a hearing in advance of sentencing, with the two accused in the courtroom and listening attentively.
“The reach of this atrocity knew no bounds, and has affected very many people,” testified Matthew Arnold of Birmingham, England, who lost his brother in the attacks.
A panel of five military officers delivered the recommendation after listening to the sentencing testimony.
The U.S. has held the two men at Guantanamo since 2006. Guantanamo authorities said the sentencing range before the military panel did not include an option to waive time already served.
Local news media in Malaysia have said that authorities there as of last year were exploring bringing the two back to their home country.
veryGood! (2197)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs will remain in jail as a 3-judge panel considers his release on bail
- Suspect in deadly Michigan home invasion arrested in Louisiana, authorities say
- Head and hands found in Colorado freezer identified as girl missing since 2005
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- 'Just a pitching clinic': Jack Flaherty gem vs. Mets has Dodgers sitting pretty in NLCS
- Asheville residents still without clean water two weeks after Helene
- When is 'Tracker' back? Season 2 release date, cast, where to watch
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- T.J. Holmes Suffers Injury After Running in Chicago Marathon With Girlfriend Amy Robach
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Suspect in deadly Michigan home invasion arrested in Louisiana, authorities say
- Titans' Calvin Ridley vents after zero-catch game: '(Expletive) is getting crazy for me'
- Can cats have cheese? Your pet's dietary restrictions, explained
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Indigenous Peoples Day celebrated with an eye on the election
- Demi Moore Shares Update on Bruce Willis Amid Battle With Dementia
- ‘Terrifier 3’ slashes ‘Joker’ to take No. 1 at the box office, Trump film ‘The Apprentice’ fizzles
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Andrew Garfield and Dr. Kate Tomas Break Up
Spike Lee’s 1st trip, Michael Jordan’s welcome to newcomers and more from basketball Hall of Fame
Sister Wives' Kody Brown Calls Ex Janelle Brown a Relationship Coward Amid Split
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
WNBA Finals winners, losers: Series living up to hype, needs consistent officiating
Oregon's defeat of Ohio State headlines college football Week 7 winners and losers
Cardi B Reveals What Her Old Stripper Name Used to Be